Hidden within the bell tower of St. Clement’s Church are numerous marks left behind by past bell ringers and churchwardens.
The oldest mark of graffiti we have been able to date was from James Gibbon, Sexton, from October 1730.
John Andreasen left the latest mark in 1968, why he chose to make his mark on this particular date we do not know. He continued to look after the church for numerous years even after it was closed.
Katharine Salter explains the markings left behind within this recording.